Recipe from The Galley
By Jamie Kennedy (Canada C3 chef, Leg 14)
Recipe for 6 people
Farm-to-table is a social movement which promotes eating locally sourced ingredients. With the food industry having a major impact on the environment, the farm-to-table movement promotes traceability, safety and freshness. Buying locally sourced ingredients means your food doesn’t have far to travel, reducing greenhouse gas emissions. Here is a recipe you can make with ingredients from a local farmers market near you!
- 1 cup dried green lentils
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, cut in dice
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut in dice
- 2 bay leaves, coarsely ground black pepper and salt
1. Place the lentils, all the cut vegetables, bay leaves and spices into a saucepan
2. Add enough water to cover the lentils and vegetables.
3. Bring water to a boil and simmer, covered for approximately 30 minutes until lentils are tender. Allow the cooked lentils to cool in the cooking liquid. Reserve at room temperature.
- 2 medium sized red beets
- 2 medium sized golden beets
- 2 medium sized candy cane beets
1. Scrub and soak beets in cold water for 3 hours
2. Lift beets out of the water into a baking dish with a tight fitting lid
3. Roast in 325 degree oven for approximately 1 ½ hours until beets can be pierced easily with a skewer
4. Peel beets while still warm. Reserve.
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp dry mustard powder in 2 tbsp apple cider
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. liquid honey
- ½ cup sunflower oil
- salt to taste
1. Put the egg yolk, the cider dry mustard mixture, cider vinegar and honey in a blender
2. Combine at low speed.
3. In a steady stream, add the sunflower oil. Adjust seasoning with salt. Reserve.
Putting the salad together
- all the ingredients so far plus…
- 100 grams sheep’s milk feta
- 6 tbsp. finely chopped chives
- Lay out 6 salad plates. Place a pool of the honey mustard vinaigrette in the centre of each plate. Place a serving of cooked lentils on each pool of vinaigrette. Quarter and arrange a variety of beets on the lentils. Crumble feta evenly on top. Garnish each plate with a sprinkling of chopped chives. Sprinkle each plate with fine olive oil.